The best geospatial intelligence (GEOINT) resource is an educated analyst. The GEOINT option within the intercollege Master of Professional Studies (iMPS) in Homeland Security is designed to increase the skills and knowledge of the analyst to produce accurate intelligence to help save lives, improve government, and assist businesses. Geospatial intelligence is applied in such law enforcement, homeland security, and business applications as:
- Investigating organized crime and serial criminal activity
- Anticipating and preventing terrorist activities
- Detecting and assessing threats from criminal and terrorist groups
- Preparing for and responding to emergencies and disasters
- Gaining a geographic advantage over an adversary
The Penn State Difference
Online Flexibility — The flexibility of studying when and where you want can give you the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge while maintaining your current responsibilities.
Recognition — Penn State's online geospatial education program has been a trusted leader in online education since 1998. More than 6,000 GIS and GEOINT professionals have turned to us to help them advance their career. You can feel confident that you are adding a well-known, highly respected credential to your resume.
Applicable Skillset — We take a pragmatic, hands-on approach in the program. Our curriculum extends beyond theory so you gain relevant skills that you can apply immediately in the workplace.
Two Credentials, One Path — Our stackable curriculum gives you the option to begin your program of study with our online Graduate Certificate in Geospatial Intelligence Analytics. The 13 credits earned in this certificate program may be applied toward the requirements for this master's degree, allowing you to add two credentials to your resume.
Homeland Security Video
Learn more about the World Campus Homeland Security portfolio in this video:
Homeland Security - GEOINT Curriculum
As a student in the program, you will learn to:
- use space-time thinking, knowledge of human and physical geography, problem solving techniques, and geographic information technologies to improve decision making
- identify and assess potential threats, vulnerabilities, and consequences within a geospatial context
- evaluate scientific evidence and best practices to understand how criminals and terrorists behave spatially and improve real-world decisions
- apply leadership skills and principles to produce and act on information in a collaborative setting
- communicate the major issues of your discipline effectively to a diverse group
Who Should Apply?
The iMPS in Homeland Security Degree — Geospatial Intelligence Option is open to candidates who hold a bachelor's degree. The option is designed for the new or established working professional, with or without geographic information systems experience, and is ideal for those working in federal agencies such as the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, Department of Homeland Security, Army Corps of Engineers, USGS, NOAA, EPA, and FEMA.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Employer industries are primarily federal government agencies, but any employer with the need for mapping, management, and analysis of geographic data increasingly uses geospatial intelligence. Graduates with this option can work in various occupations:
- geospatial analyst
- geospatial Intelligence specialist
- senior imagery analyst
- imagery analyst
- intelligence analyst
- spectral analyst
- GEOINT data specialist
- crime analyst
Information for Military and Veterans
Are you a member of the military, a veteran, or a military spouse? Please visit our military website for additional information regarding financial aid, transfer credits, or application instructions.
Online Education at Penn State
Penn State has a history of 100+ years of distance education and more than a decade of experience in online learning. We create an online learning environment that offers you the same quality education our residential students experience in a face-to-face setting. Learn more about Penn State World Campus.
- Geospatial Intelligence Analytics (Graduate Certificate)
- Geographic Information Systems - GIS (Master's Degree)
- Geographic Information Systems - GIS (Postbaccalaureate Certificate)
- Homeland Security Base Program (Master of Professional Studies)
- Remote Sensing and Earth Observation (Graduate Certificate)
- Geospatial Programming and Web Map Development (Graduate Certificate)