If you were previously enrolled at any of Penn State's campuses, you may be able to use your Penn State credits toward a World Campus program of study. There are several paths you may take to return to your studies, depending on your circumstances.
Note that you will need to plan ahead; returning and nondegree student forms are due in advance before each semester begins. Review upcoming semester deadlines in our academic calendar.
If you are a student returning in academic warning or returning from academic suspension or dismissal, you will need to follow different procedures. You must submit your re-enrollment form and your Academic Action Plan (if required) four weeks before the start of the returning semester.
How Do I Get Started?
To enroll again, you’ll need to find the return path that best fits your situation and submit the necessary paperwork.
- You should contact World Campus Academic Advising six to eight weeks prior to the semester in which you wish to return. It may take some time to review your circumstances and plan your next steps.
- Once you’ve identified your return path, you’ll need to submit the required form(s). Returning student forms are due at least two weeks before the start of each semester. This includes forms for re-enrollment, adult learner re-entry, and academic renewal, depending on which path you take to return to Penn State.
You can contact our Advising team at 814-863-3283 or by completing the Academic Advising contact form. You can expect a response in one to two weeks.
We’ll help you find the right return path based on your answers to the following questions:
- Were you enrolled in a degree program at Penn State?
- If so, were you enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program?
- What was your last GPA before leaving your studies?
After your return path has been identified, don’t forget to submit your undergraduate re-enrollment or nondegree enrollment form.
If you plan to pursue an undergraduate degree and already know which form on this page you need to submit, you can simply complete it and email it to [email protected].
To return to a graduate course of study, please read more about graduate options.
Please note: If you have completed courses at another institution, which you would like to transfer for credit at Penn State, you will need to submit an official transcript and you may be charged a $25 processing fee. Find more information about transferring credits.
Re-enrollment allows former degree-seeking students who have been away from school to resume their studies. To qualify for re-enrollment, you must:
- have left the University in good standing
- have had a 2.00 or higher cumulative GPA as of your most recent semester at Penn State*
- meet the entrance-to-major requirements of your intended degree program, if applicable
- A $20 re-enrollment fee is required. This fee will be charged to your student account if your re-enrollment is approved. You do not need to provide payment information with your re-enrollment form.
* If you had less than a 2.00 cumulative GPA, then please complete the Academic Advising contact form to discuss your options.
Adult Learner Re-entry
Adult learner re-entry allows adult students to return to their previous program of study. To qualify for adult learner re-entry, you must:
- have been away from the University for fewer than three years
- meet the requirements for re-enrollment
- qualify as an adult learner
- plan to return to the same major and campus in which you were previously enrolled
- No re-enrollment fee is required if you meet all of the above criteria.
Academic renewal provides an opportunity for former undergraduate students to resume their academic career without being penalized by their past academic record.
To qualify for academic renewal, you must:
- have been away from Penn State for four or more years
- have had below a 2.00 cumulative GPA
Please complete the Academic Advising contact form prior to completing an academic renewal form.
New and returning undergraduate nondegree students will need to submit an Undergraduate Nondegree Enrollment Form. If you are an undergraduate nondegree student, you will receive an Access Account and enroll in courses after your nondegree enrollment form is processed. If you were previously enrolled and dropped due to poor scholarship, please complete the Academic Advising contact form to discuss your options.
Please check the academic calendar for upcoming nondegree enrollment deadlines.
To return to Penn State as a World Campus graduate student, you must apply and be accepted by the academic department and the Graduate School.
Please reach out to a Graduate School representative with any questions regarding resuming your graduate studies.