Federal Student Aid

Full- and half-time degree-seeking students at Penn State World Campus are eligible for federal student aid. Even if you aren't sure if you would qualify for any federal aid, we encourage you to apply and find out. Applying will also ensure that you can be considered for University scholarships and other aid sources that are only available to students with a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file.

To apply for financial aid, you must submit the FAFSA. You will need Penn State's school code for the FAFSA; this code is 003329. For complete eligibility guidelines and information on financial aid, please visit the Penn State Office of Student Aid website and view special considerations for Penn State World Campus students.

Unless mentioned on a program-specific Costs page, most certificate students are ineligible for federal aid, including Federal Direct Student loans. Certificate students may want to consider other payment options or consider a private alternative loan.

Financial Aid Basics On-Demand Webinar

Length: 30 minutes
Program Level: Undergraduate

Get information about financial aid, including an overview of completing the FAFSA, checking and maintaining your eligibility, creating your aid package, and reviewing your Penn State award summary.

Watch the Financial Aid Basics Webinar

Financial Aid for Transfer Students

If you've transferred to Penn State from another institution and are applying for financial aid, there is an additional step you must take to ensure that your aid is processed quickly and accurately. After you have filed the FAFSA and submitted your transcripts, you must inform your previous institution you will not be returning and confirm that your previous institution has cancelled any pending aid disbursements.

You cannot receive federal aid at two different institutions at the same time. There are also limits to the total amount of aid you can receive in one academic year for certain types of federal financial aid, at any or all institutions. If you have already used a significant portion of your annual aid before you transfer to Penn State, you may have a limited amount of aid remaining for the same academic year after you transfer. View the annual loan limits for Federal Direct Loans

Additional Transfer Student Aid Resources

  • If you have loans in deferment, you will want to ensure that they remain in deferment. Penn State participates in the National Student Clearinghouse, an enrollment verification system, and updates your enrollment records periodically throughout the semester after the drop/add period. If you need to have an "in-school deferment" request sent to your loan provider, after you have registered for classes, please contact us via email at [email protected] to request verification of your enrollment. 

Tuition Assistance for Unemployed Members of the Workforce

If you are unemployed or recently laid off from your job, you may be eligible for educational benefits through the Trade Adjustment Assistance Program. TAA is a federal program available only to individuals who lost their jobs for specific reasons related (either directly or indirectly) to international trade. Contact us at [email protected] to learn more about this benefit and to get details about your options.

Note: Unfortunately, job loss due to COVID-19 does not qualify for TAA.

Military Payment Options

Penn State offers extensive tuition assistance to military students and veterans, including GI Bill® and grant-in-aid. Please visit the Education Benefits and Financial Aid page for details.

Planning for Books and Other Expenses

Penn State World Campus does not offer book vouchers. Students who have an excess of financial aid after it has been applied may receive a refund and may use those funds for other educational expenses, including books and special equipment. However, excess aid refunds may not be available until after the semester has begun, and you may be responsible for purchasing materials before classes start.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

To view the detailed list of cost of attendance elements, select “World Campus” as the location on the tuition site.