To graduate from Penn State's 45-credit online Doctor of Engineering in Engineering program, you must maintain a grade-point average of 3.0 or better in all course work including:
- at least 9 credits of required core courses
- at least 6 credits of research and statistics methods
- at least 15 credits of technical electives
- at least 15 credits of praxis research
Doctor of Engineering in Engineering Praxis Research
The D.Eng. program is flexible enough to provide opportunities for both discipline-specific and cross-disciplinary research. A doctoral committee consisting of a minimum of three faculty members (with three members on graduate faculty at Penn State) will oversee the research. When pertinent to the student’s praxis topic area and personal circumstances, an additional member can be added as a “special outside industry member” from the associated industry, military, organization, or governmental function. This doctoral committee will require demonstration of analytical and critical thinking, consistent with the expectations for a doctoral research program.
The program culminates with a 15-credit praxis research project focused on applied research executed in a real-world industry environment. You will identify an industry problem and use applied research methods to develop and present a proposed solution.
Required Courses (select 9 credits)
If students have previously taken one of the professional core courses, they may request a substitution.
Research and Statistic Methods (select 6 credits)
Electives (select 15 credits)
You can customize your learning to match your past experience and future goals by selecting 15 credits from a comprehensive list of technical electives drawn from programs including:
- Additive Manufacturing and Design
- Data Analytics
- Ecosystem Management and Administration
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Management
- Geographic Information Systems
- Homeland Security – Base Program
- Homeland Security – Agricultural Biosecurity and Food Defense option
- Homeland Security – Counterterrorism option
- Homeland Security – Cyber Threat Analytics and Prevention option
- Homeland Security – Geospatial Intelligence option
- Homeland Security – Public Health Preparedness option
- Human Factors Engineering and Ergonomics
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering – Thermal Sciences
- Mechanical Sciences
- Nuclear Engineering
- Project Management
- Renewable Energy and Sustainability Systems
- Software Engineering
- Systems Engineering
Praxis Research (15 credits)
Ready to Learn More?
Get the resources you need to make informed decisions about your education. Request information on this program and other programs of interest by completing this form.