Earn a Graduate Degree in Homeland Security – Intelligence and Geospatial Analysis Option
The best intelligence resource is an educated analyst. The Intelligence and Geospatial Analysis option within the Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Homeland Security, offered in partnership with Penn State College of Earth and Mineral Sciences' Online Geospatial Education, is designed to increase the skills and knowledge of the analyst to produce accurate intelligence to help save lives, improve government, and assist businesses. Intelligence is applied in such law enforcement, homeland security, emergency management, and business applications as:
- investigating organized crime and serial criminal activity
- anticipating and preventing terrorist activities
- detecting and assessing threats from criminal and terrorist groups
- preparing for and responding to emergencies and disasters
- gaining a geographic advantage over an adversary
- securing critical infrastructure and key resources
The Penn State Difference
100% Online Course Work — The flexibility of studying when and where you want can give you the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge while maintaining your current responsibilities.
Nationally Recognized and Accredited — Penn State's geospatial education program has been a trusted leader in online education since 1998. More than 7,000 professionals have turned to us to help them earn a respected credential online. We have strong industry connections and serve as supportive members of influential industry associations:
• United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF)
• International Association of Law Enforcement Intelligence Analysts (IALEIA)
• International Association for Intelligence Education (IAFIE)
• Defence Surveyor’s Association
Applicable Skill Set — We take a pragmatic, hands-on approach in the program. Our curriculum extends beyond theory so you gain relevant skills that you can apply immediately in the workplace.
Multicredentialing — Our stackable curriculum gives you the option to begin your program of study with our fully embedded Postbaccalaureate Certificate in Geospatial Intelligence Applications. The 13 credits earned in that certificate program may be applied toward the requirements for this master's degree, allowing you to add two credentials to your résumé.
Online Master's Degree Curriculum
While the three core courses will offer you a solid foundation in homeland security theory and implementation, the bulk of your course work will focus on developing the expertise and career-ready skills you need to improve the intelligence reports that inform mission-critical decisions. In this option, you will learn to:
- use space-time thinking, knowledge of human and physical geography, problem-solving techniques, and geographic information technologies to improve decision-making
- identify and assess potential threats, vulnerabilities, and consequences within a geospatial context
- evaluate scientific evidence and best practices to understand how criminals and terrorists behave spatially and improve real-world decisions
- apply leadership skills and principles to produce and act on information in a collaborative setting
- communicate the major issues of your discipline effectively to a diverse group
Who Should Apply?
The MPS in Homeland Security – Intelligence and Geospatial Analysis option is open to candidates who hold a bachelor's degree. The option is designed for the new or established working professional, with or without geographic information systems (GIS) experience, and is ideal for those working in federal agencies such as the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Defense Services, and the FBI. Professionals who work in corporate risk and intelligence divisions, as well as state and local Fusion Centers and law enforcement intelligence units, may also benefit from this degree. Members of the military are strongly encouraged to apply.
Students who begin in one of our GIS, GEOINT, geospatial programming, or remote sensing certificate programs and who earn a 3.67 GPA or higher after completing the first three courses may be eligible for accelerated admission to the MPS in Homeland Security – Intelligence and Geospatial Analysis option program.
With the accelerated admission option, none of the following are required:
- professional experience
- letters of recommendation
Learn more about how you may qualify for the accelerated admission option.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Employer industries are primarily federal government agencies, but any employer with the need for mapping, management, and analysis of geographic data increasingly uses geospatial intelligence. Graduates with this option can work in various occupations, including:
- intelligence analyst
- geospatial analyst
- geospatial intelligence (GEOINT) analyst
- intelligence research specialist
- intelligence specialist
- crime analyst
Information for Military and Veterans
Are you a member of the military, a veteran, or a military spouse? Please visit our military website for additional information regarding financial aid, transfer credits, or application instructions.
Online Education at Penn State
Penn State has a history of more than 100 years of distance education and more than a decade of experience in online learning. We create an online learning environment that offers you the same quality education our residential students experience in a face-to-face setting. Learn more about Penn State World Campus.