Program SummaryCustomize your courses to meet your goals with one of the most flexible degree programs Penn State offers. Students are often able to earn one or more certificates or associate degrees while working toward their bachelor's, adding value to their resumes.
Earn a Penn State Multidisciplinary Degree Online
If you are looking for a highly versatile program that focuses on issues of leadership and organizational dynamics, yet do not want to limit yourself to a narrow, single-discipline approach, Penn State's Bachelor of Arts in Multidisciplinary Studies may be for you.
This 100% online degree program is rooted in the theoretical foundation of a liberal arts education, emphasizing a broad education that can prepare you for the complex social, cultural, and organizational issues that you may face in most leadership positions. Your education will focus on four academic principles — communication skills, critical analysis, research, and theory and application.
As a student, you will be able to:
- integrate knowledge and synthesize multiple disciplinary perspectives into an intellectual or professional identity
- effectively communicate about diverse topics in both written and oral formats
- conduct research and apply empirical or creative processes specific to your field of specialization
- improve critical soft skills sought by many hiring managers
A Highly Versatile Online Degree in the Liberal Arts
Develop career-ready skills — You can sharpen your communication and analytical skills, hone your leadership abilities, and gain an understanding of the ethical and diversity issues facing our world today.
Increase your career options — Whether you choose sales, marketing, or service, a bachelor's degree in multidisciplinary studies can help you gain the leadership and organizational skills you need to succeed.
Complete your degree online — Already have college credit? Given the program's broad nature, the multidisciplinary studies program delivers built-in flexibility, making it an efficient path for students who hope to apply previously earned college credit toward a bachelor's degree. Degree-completion candidates should consult with an admissions representative for more details.
The Penn State Difference
Unique student-designed major — You will work 1-on-1 with an academic adviser to design a program that creates a level of intellectual depth in an area of study that is unique to your interests and career goals.
Earn multiple credentials along the way — While earning your bachelor's degree online, you can enhance your résumé by acquiring a professional certificate or an associate degree. For example, both the certificate in organizational communication and the associate degree in multidisciplinary studies include many of the courses required for the Bachelor of Arts in Multidisciplinary Studies. You can gain credits toward a bachelor's degree while also accomplishing these notable milestones along the way.
Access to world-renowned faculty — You will have the opportunity to study with highly regarded faculty from Penn State's College of the Liberal Arts, one of the premier institutions in the world to study and work in the liberal arts disciplines.
Who Should Apply?
The bachelor’s degree in multidisciplinary studies could be an ideal choice if you:
- need a degree completion program that is flexible and might accommodate previously earned college credit
- currently work in a managerial or leadership position and need a degree to advance in your career
- are naturally drawn to a variety of interests, particularly disciplines in the social sciences and humanities
- enjoy probing issues, analyzing topics from various viewpoints, and solving critical problems
- aspire to attend graduate school
Ready to Learn More?
Get the resources you need to make informed decisions about your education. Request information on this program and other programs of interest by completing this form.