Earn a Bachelor's Degree in History Online
History offers a compelling vision of human activity and capability and a unique analytical perspective on the world in a comprehensive context that social science disciplines can seldom match. To understand history, you must gain a deep knowledge of culture, religion, art, politics, and war.
As a student majoring in history, you can build the strong foundation needed to succeed in today's competitive job market and workplace. You can learn how to conceptualize an issue, research it, weigh evidence, make conclusions, and present your work in a compelling and coherent fashion. As a graduate of this program, you may find yourself with a long-term advantage in a professional landscape that requires a number of job and career shifts.
History Majors Gain Contemporary Skills by Analyzing the Past
Students in this program can develop skills in writing, reading, primary and secondary source analysis, chronological reasoning, and understanding complex causality. These skills are essential to both professional and managerial positions in nearly every field of study and practice, and also serve as the basis for history and many other graduate degrees.
When you complete this degree, you should be able to:
- apply a critical lens to the study of the past, understanding that history is not simply an account of what happened, but the result of a process of interpretation
- analyze the complex causality of events from the past, articulating the how and why of these events
- make sense of the past by tracking patterns of change and continuity over time
- create evidence-based historical arguments
- analyze the written work of others and collaborate with peers to analyze and understand historical contexts and content
- employ digital technologies in the solving of writing, reading, and source analysis problems
The Penn State Difference
This is the Real Penn State — We develop our online programs so that they mirror the same quality you would expect from a Penn State education on campus. You will even study with highly regarded faculty from Penn State's College of the Liberal Arts, one of the premier institutions in the world to study and work in the liberal arts disciplines.
100% Online Course Work — The flexibility of studying when and where you want can give you the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge while maintaining your current responsibilities.
Top-Ranked — U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks Penn State as one of the nation's top providers of online bachelor's degrees.
Military-Friendly — Our military support team can help you navigate admissions, leverage benefits, manage the impact of deployments, and more.
What Can I Do With a History Degree?
- Education — primary and secondary teaching, higher education
- Business — management, sales, human resources, public relations
- Media — editing, reporting, news
- Law — public and private defense, prosecution, government
- Local and state government — city or town management, community services, law enforcement