As a student in the recreation, park, and tourism management (RPTM) program, you will be required to participate in an internship experience.
The primary purpose of the RPTM Internship is to enable you to meet your educational objectives through participation in a well-planned and organized practical experience.
More importantly, internship is intended as the opportunity for you to pull all of the pieces of your undergraduate curriculum together — courses, projects, group work, experience in the field — and apply them to your intended career path. Internship allows you to “try it out” while you continue to build your résumé and skills and competencies.
You will be encouraged to seek and select an internship agency that provides diverse leadership and administrative opportunities in areas that correspond to your own professional goals. Assistance will be provided to all students by RPTM department faculty and staff. It is a personalized process that will take into account your circumstances, interests, and goals.
Examples of past RPTM internships include, but are certainly not limited to:
- Vacation resort recreation department
- Music festival event coordinator
- Wellness coordinator
- Municipal recreation director
- Guest experience for professional football team
- Ticket sales department for professional arena football team
- College campus recreation coordinator
- Theme park administrative staff
- Youth sports tournament operations
- Hotel vacation club representative
- Minor league baseball stadium operations
- Bike tour specialist
- Environmental center assistant
Students planning to complete their internship must enroll in RPTM 495A and pay full tuition for 12 credits in the semester that the internship is to be completed.