Gain Skills and Knowledge to Work in the Field of Counterterrorism
The growth of global and domestic terrorism has brought about a heightened demand for educated professionals who can proactively create counterterrorism policies, and swiftly respond to potential or realized acts of terror. As a student in the MPS in Homeland Security - Counterterrorism option program, you can gain understanding of strategic, policy-based and practical solutions for terrorism that are appropriate for both government, private and nonprofit sectors. You can learn such core skills as terrorism data analysis, security and intelligence assessment, report writing, threat management, counterterrorism briefing, and assessing anti-terrorism strategies.
Who Should Apply?
The MPS in Homeland Security Degree - Counterterrorism option is open to candidates who hold a bachelor's degree. It can provide federal, state, and local emergency management officials, law enforcement personnel, and members of the military, as well as employees connected with the Department of Homeland Security and other federal agencies, with the knowledge and training to more effectively respond to the threat of terrorism. Individuals in the private sector, including finance corporations, insurance agencies, and security consultants, may also find the program relevant and valuable to their careers.
Penn State's Counterterrorism Curriculum
The MPS in Homeland Security Counterterrorism option can provide you with a broad base of knowledge relevant to the current policies and programs of the Homeland Security administration. Courses in the option are designed to give students a detailed understanding of terrorist organizations, along with their motives, threats, recruitment strategies, and operational tactics. The program also covers the evolution of, and issues related to, counterterrorism in the U.S. and other contexts. It can further provide you with a focus on understanding terrorist organizations in detail, along with their motives, threats, recruitment strategies, and operational tactics. As a graduate of this program, you should be able to:
- understand the conditions that give rise to terrorism
- identify and evaluate basic counterterrorism operations
- plan and execute programs for intelligence gathering
- collect and analyze data and turn it into actionable information
Homeland Security Video
Learn more about the World Campus Homeland Security portfolio in this video:
Information for Military and Veterans
Are you a member of the military, a veteran, or a military spouse? Please visit our military website for additional information regarding financial aid, transfer credits, or application instructions.
- Homeland Security Base Program (Master of Professional Studies)
- Homeland Security (Graduate Certificate)
- Homeland Security – Agricultural Biosecurity and Food Defense Option (Master of Professional Studies)
- Homeland Security – Cyber Threat Analytics and Prevention Option (Master of Professional Studies)
- Homeland Security – Geospatial Intelligence Option (Master of Professional Studies)
- Homeland Security – Information Security and Forensics Option (Master of Professional Studies)
- Homeland Security – Public Health Preparedness Option (Master of Professional Studies)