Gain the Skills You Need to be a Successful Geospatial Developer
As our spatially-enabled society grows, so does the need for highly skilled geospatial software developers and web map designers. Take advantage of your opportunity to join this dynamic industry by expanding your web mapping and coding skills—online.
As a student in Penn State's online Graduate Certificate in Geospatial Programming and Web Map Development program, you will learn to script the automation of spatial analysis processes, develop custom user interfaces on top of existing desktop applications, and create web-based interactive mapping applications that support spatial data science. This 15-credit online program is ideal for professionals with intermediate-level experience with GIS applications. No previous programming experience is required.
Why Geospatial Software Development at Penn State?
Penn State's online geospatial education program has been a trusted leader in online education since 1998. Our students and alumni work in more than 150 geospatial organizations around the world in every major sector of the mapping, GIS, Remote Sensing, and GEOINT industries. You can take pride in knowing you are part of a recognized, award-winning program taught by experts in the field.
Our Online Geospatial Programming Courses
Our online curriculum will help you develop career-ready skills that you can use immediately at work. You can learn how to:
- apply contemporary programming principles to automate geospatial analysis and mapping processes.
- design and implement custom user interfaces to support mapping and spatial analysis.
- create interactive web mapping applications that support spatial data exploration and analysis.
- develop software that suits the unique challenges of geospatial problems using both proprietary and open source languages and technologies.
Accelerated Admission to the Online Master of GIS (MGIS)
This certificate can help you take the next step into higher-level graduate studies. Any geospatial certificate student who earns a 3.67 GPA or higher after completing the first three courses of the certificate may apply to the MGIS program through this new option. Advantages of accelerated admissions include:
- No GRE test is required
- No professional experience is required
- No letters of recommendation are required
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis, so you can learn about your admission decision even earlier. Up to 15 credits of certificate program courses may also count toward the MGIS degree. Learn more about how you may qualify for the Master of GIS accelerated admission option.
- Geographic Information Systems - GIS (Master's Degree)
- Homeland Security – Geospatial Intelligence Option (Master of Professional Studies)
- Geographic Information Systems - GIS (Postbaccalaureate Certificate)
- Geospatial Intelligence Applications (Postbaccalaureate Certificate)
- Geospatial Intelligence Analytics (Graduate Certificate)