Program SummaryHone your leadership skills with an online degree in organizational leadership; explore the behaviors of successful leaders and develop acumen in critical thinking, team dynamics, problem solving, communication, and conflict resolution.
Earn an Organizational Leadership Degree — 100% Online
If you aspire toward upward mobility, the Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership can deliver the foundational knowledge and practical skills you need to emerge as a capable leader — one who can influence change, inspire others, and contribute to positive outcomes for your organization.
This nationally recognized online program can prepare you for the complex social, cultural, and professional issues that you are likely to encounter as a leader or manager in today's global workplace. You can:
- understand the role and functions of leadership in contemporary organizations
- explore the foundations for different leadership approaches
- delve into the managerial and supervisory behaviors of successful leaders
- identify appropriate strategies for overcoming obstacles to organizational performance issues that leaders often face
- exhibit intellectual and behavioral competencies to manage relationships and execute critical organizational tasks
- recognize the internal structures of organizations and their impact on employee performance
Why Study Leadership Development at Penn State?
100% Online Course Work — The flexibility of studying when and where you want can give you the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge while maintaining your current responsibilities.
Relevant, Career-Ready Skills — This program can help you develop the skills most sought after by employers, including:
- exercising influence
- conflict management
- complex problem-solving
- critical thinking
- sound judgment
- leadership development
World-Renowned Faculty — In this program, you will have the opportunity to study with highly regarded faculty from Penn State's College of the Liberal Arts, one of the premier institutions in the world to study and work in the liberal arts disciplines.
Diverse Curriculum — Foundational courses in psychology, sociology, communication, economics, and labor and employment relations can prepare you for leadership positions in multiple fields, while electives allow you to investigate workplace issues like conflict management and ethics.
A Degree to Meet Your Needs: B.S. or B.A.
If your interests align more with the humanistic side of organizational leadership, you may want to consider the Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership, which relies strongly on a curriculum immersed in the social sciences and humanities in addition to the prescribed organizational leadership courses.
Who Should Apply?
The Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership may appeal to professionals and students who come from a variety of backgrounds but wish to transition to higher-level positions of responsibility and authority. Applicants typically:
- occupy a managerial/leadership position but must obtain a degree for further professional advancement
- have faced challenges starting or completing a college education due to life circumstances or geographical constraints
- are an active-duty soldier or veteran looking to advance within the military ranks or transition into civilian life
- are looking to expand their leadership styles from many different perspectives
- want to gain knowledge and skills to become an ethical leader, motivate others, think critically, and make sound decisions
Career Opportunities in Organizational Leadership
A Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership can prepare you for a wide range of careers in which your leadership skills can contribute positively to the overall organizational climate and interpersonal interactions.
You may find this degree most valuable if you are interested in showcasing your ability to lead and nurture business and professional relationships in any of the following areas:
- human resources
- labor and employment relations
- production management
- business development and sales
- customer service
Connect with an Alumni Ambassador
If you would like to speak to a graduate of the program, complete this form to be connected with an Alumni Ambassador. These alumni have offered to answer specific questions about the student experience and discuss any concerns you may be having before you apply.
Ready to Learn More?
Get the resources you need to make informed decisions about your education. Request information on this program and other programs of interest by completing this form.