The Art World Has Gone Digital
Master the powerful combination of artistic knowledge and technical skills to create professional, high-quality digital portfolios. The Undergraduate Certificate in Digital Arts program focuses on the latest production techniques for generating computer-based graphics and media-rich web productions.
In this program, developing your technical proficiencies is just the beginning; you can also learn key concepts of multimedia and visual art as you acquire a practical understanding of the conventions, language, practices, and aesthetics that digital artists and designers use.
Why Digital Arts at Penn State
Blending art theory with the latest Internet-based technologies, the digital arts certificate is an excellent way to build your digital résumé. We've designed the courses to help you gain a specialized set of skills that can be applied across industries and professions.
Throughout the certificate program, you will work in an award-winning virtual space called The Open Studio, which can be described as a marriage of web 2.0 technologies and art studio fundamentals.
Some of the credits you earn in this program may also apply toward the requirements for either an associate or bachelor’s degree from Penn State.
Who Should Apply?
The digital arts certificate is an ideal program if you:
- are interested in computer-based graphics, multimedia, art, or media-rich web design
- want to strengthen your existing skills to support your professional responsibilities
Career Opportunities for Graduates
This certificate focuses on enhancing creative problem solving through project-based learning — giving you a very practical, real-world emphasis. As a digital arts professional, you can create digitally based media and computer-based art and designs relevant to many professional and personal interest areas, including:
- computer technologies
- computer graphics
- graphic arts
- corporate communications
- original or manipulated photography
- media-rich web productions
- freelance businesses
- Digital Multimedia Design (Bachelor of Design)
- Information Sciences and Technology (Undergraduate Certificate)
- Information Sciences and Technology (Associate in Science)
- Information Sciences and Technology (Bachelor of Science)
- Information Sciences - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (Master of Professional Studies)