Online Certificate in AgBio Security and Food Defense
Protecting the nation's food and fiber supply is of paramount importance to the well-being and prosperity of our country. A biological attack on our food supply could lead to illness, loss of life, and economic and social instability. Penn State's online Agricultural Biosecurity and Food Defense Graduate Certificate can help you expand your knowledge of diverse agricultural and food supply chain systems, and prepare you to develop and implement safety measures to prevent or manage biological threats.
Designed for working professionals with or without experience in the agricultural and food security industry, the Agricultural Biosecurity and Food Defense Graduate Certificate is open to candidates who hold a bachelor's degree. The program is ideal for public health professionals, food safety analysts, quality control specialists, plant managers, food safety engineers, food defense coordinators, and food inspectors.
What Makes Penn State’s Online Homeland Security Program Different?
Penn State's College of Agricultural Science offers this unique certificate as part of the online Homeland Security Program. Based on a partnership of six colleges, the Penn State Homeland Security portfolio is one of the nation's most respected and comprehensive HLS programs, designed to educate professionals and prepare leaders to make societies more secure in a global era of evolving threats in an all-hazards spectrum.
The 12 credits earned in this certificate may be applied toward the Master of Professional Studies in Homeland Security Agricultural Biosecurity and Food Defense option.
Penn State's Online AGBFD Certificate Curriculum
The agricultural biosecurity and food defense course work can be completed in just over a year and demonstrates to your employer your commitment to a deeper understanding of the vulnerabilities and protection of our food system.
The curriculum focuses on building your knowledge in these key areas:
- current agricultural and food security issues and vulnerabilities
- structure and roles of U.S. federal, state, and local government in agricultural biosecurity and food defense
- recognition of a foodborne or agricultural disease event as a terrorist or criminal act
- effective prevention, surveillance, diagnosis, response, and recovery from agricultural and foodborne disease outbreaks
Information for Military and Veterans
Are you a member of the military, a veteran, or a military spouse? Please visit our military website for additional information regarding financial aid, transfer credits, or application instructions.
- Homeland Security – Agricultural Biosecurity and Food Defense Option (Master of Professional Studies in Homeland Security)
- Homeland Security – Public Health Preparedness Option (Master of Professional Studies in Homeland Security)
- Homeland Security Base Program (Master of Professional Studies in Homeland Security)
- Public Health Preparedness (Graduate Certificate)