Earn an Online Certificate in Security and Risk Analysis
The speed at which technology changes and data travels is astonishing. In just 60 seconds, hundreds of terabytes of data are transferred around the globe. Our government and private industry data-sharing infrastructures — connected both physically and digitally — face increased vulnerability.
To address and prevent those vulnerabilities, governments and industries need qualified candidates to fill available positions. The online Certificate in Security and Risk Analysis offered through Penn State World Campus can help you earn the credentials you need to qualify for more career opportunities in this rapidly expanding field.
Why an Online Certificate in Security and Risk Analysis (SRA)?
The SRA certificate curriculum introduces you to information systems, information assurance (both digital and physical security), and intelligence analysis. The course work begins by addressing these questions:
- How can we use technology to organize and integrate human enterprises?
- How can technology help people and organizations adapt rapidly and creatively?
- What can we do about information overload?
As a student in the certificate program, you can progress through four courses that broadly address the areas of security, risk, and analysis, as well as more specific topics such as:
- social and legal issues as they relate to security, particularly identity theft and social engineering
- risk analysis and risk mitigation
- crime intelligence and forensics
- information warfare and assurance
- threats posed by both terrorists and criminal activity, and strategies to combat those threats
- fundamentals of information security, security architectures and models, worms and viruses, and other Internet-secure applications
You will examine case studies related to cyberterrorism, bioterrorism, and critical infrastructure protection to determine the requirements for security needed in government agencies or businesses.
Who Should Apply?
According to the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team, the number of cyber-attack incidents reported by federal agencies has skyrocketed 782% since 2006 to nearly 49,000 in 2012. Attacks jumped 13% in 2012 alone.
The online Certificate in Security and Risk Analysis is designed to give busy professionals the opportunity to quickly develop essential skills in the area of security and risk. The certificate is an excellent way to augment your existing skills or expand your career opportunities or change careers altogether.
And, if you choose to continue your education, credits earned in this program can often be applied toward the Associate in Science in IST, the Bachelor of Science in IST, or the Bachelor of Science in Security and Risk Analysis from Penn State. Contact an academic adviser for more information.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
The certificate in SRA was designed so the skills learned can be applied to a variety of industries, including government, health care, financial services, criminal justice, and more.
With the certificate in SRA, you can prepare for positions such as:
- information security analyst
- crime or forensic analyst
- telecommunications engineering specialist
- computer network support specialist
Information for Military and Veterans
Are you a member of the military, a veteran, or a military spouse? Please visit our military website for additional information regarding financial aid, transfer credits, or application instructions.