Information Systems Cybersecurity Certificate for Professionals
The most effective way to verify knowledge, skills, and ability in the practice of information security is through education. A Penn State online Information Systems Cybersecurity Postbaccalaureate Certificate indicates that you are committed to gaining the ability and knowledge required to detect and prevent network and cyber attacks.
Upon completion of the course work, you should be able to:
- understand the common body of knowledge in information cybersecurity and assurance
- understand the core technologies used in making a networked information system secure and assured
- understand how to build information systems with assurances and the role of penetration testing in delivering these assurances
- take an interdisciplinary approach to analyze the security and assurance of modern information systems
- conduct a brief penetration testing to identify and explore the essential vulnerability of a system
Why Penn State for Your Information Security Education
The National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security have designated Penn State as a "National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education." The designation demonstrates Penn State’s commitment to academic excellence in information cybersecurity and assurance education.
Credits you earn in the information systems cybersecurity postbaccalaureate certificate may be applied toward the 33-credit Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Homeland Security Information Security and Forensics option or the MPS in Information Sciences.
Who Should Apply?
The information systems cybersecurity certificate is open to candidates who hold a bachelor’s degree in a technical or scientific discipline, including applied mathematics, computer information systems, computer science, information science, engineering, information systems, statistics, or related fields. However, the program will also consider students holding a bachelor’s degree in a non-technical or non-scientific discipline who possess sufficient background gained through work experience or professional training in information technologies such as networks, web services, and database development.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
The online certificate in information systems cybersecurity can prepare you for a number of information security careers, including:
- intel analysis
- information assurance engineering
- catastrophe risk analysis
- computer systems security analysis
- information security/digital forensics
Information for Military and Veterans
Are you a member of the military, a veteran, or a military spouse? Please visit our military website for additional information regarding financial aid, transfer credits, or application instructions.
- Information Sciences - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (Master of Professional Studies)
- Homeland Security – Information Security and Forensics Option (Master of Professional Studies in Homeland Security)
- Business Administration - MBA (Master's Degree)
- Geographic Information Systems - GIS (Postbaccalaureate Certificate)
- Systems Engineering (Master of Engineering)