Public health preparedness degree and certificate options
Penn State World Campus offers several options for those interested in studying public health preparedness or pursuing a career in related fields. You can choose from degree or certificate programs — or even a combination of both.
Some options to consider:
- Master of Professional Studies in Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness Option. This online master's degree program is notable because it is the only homeland security program in the U.S. that uses curriculum from a medical school, the highly respected Penn State College of Medicine.
- Graduate Certificate in Public Health Preparedness. This 12-credit certificate program is a valuable professional credential for emergency management officials, health care administrators, first responders, and others who work in public safety roles.
Many students opt to earn their certificate while completing the requirements for their graduate degree.
There are also a number of programs in related disciplines, such as health administration, nursing, and public administration.
Career options for graduates of public health programs
Some potential career opportunities for graduates of a public health program include:
- Hospital administration
- Public health coordination and management
- Leadership roles with federal, state, or local emergency management agencies
- Military service with a focus on public health and safety
- Emergency response
How long it takes to complete a public health preparedness degree
The amount of time it takes to complete your program will depend on several factors, including how much time you can devote to your courses and what other responsibilities you are juggling. Many students can complete our online public health master’s degree program in two years, but as with all of our programs, this program offers students the flexibility to plan their progress according to their needs and capabilities.
Why choose Penn State World Campus for your public health preparedness degree
Our public health preparedness programs provide the high academic standards you would expect from Penn State, coupled with the convenient, flexible online format that busy adult learners need. The public health preparedness option is part of our Homeland Security portfolio, which is among the most well-known and highly regarded program packages of its kind in the country.
Graduates of these programs also have access to valuable professional resources, including one of the largest and most powerful alumni networks in the world.