Deadlines and Important Dates
Your degree application, including receipt of all transcripts, should be received by the following deadlines to be considered complete.
- May 15 for fall semester admission
- September 15 for spring semester admission
- February 15 for summer semester admission
For admission to the Graduate School, an applicant must hold either (1) a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or (2) a tertiary (postsecondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution. This degree must be from an officially recognized degree-granting institution in the country in which it operates.
Applicants must have at least three years of relevant professional experience in an educational setting that is related to the instructional process, and hold a current PDE–issued state certification.
Prior to submitting an application for the program, please be aware of the following:
- Students who do not currently have (or who will not have by the completion of the program) a minimum of three years of school (teaching) experience should not apply for the School Leader emphasis or for the stand-alone principal certification.
- At this time, only Pennsylvania-certified educators are eligible to apply for the Graduate Certificate for Principalship.
- You must have the capacity to complete a required, (calendar) year-long internship with a qualified mentor principal.
Applications are submitted electronically and include a nonrefundable application fee.
A copy of an official transcript from each institution attended, regardless of the number of credits or semesters completed. Transcripts not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation. Penn State alumni do not need to request transcripts for credits earned at Penn State, but must list Penn State as part of your academic history.
In addition, you must send an additional official transcript directly to the program office at:
Principalship Certificate Program
Attn: Dolores Pavliska
The Pennsylvania State University
200 Rackley Building
University Park PA 16802
English Proficiency — The language of instruction at Penn State is English. All international applicants must take and submit scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with some exceptions. Minimum test scores and exceptions are found in the English Proficiency section on the Graduate School's "Requirements for Graduate Admission" page.
The specific requirements for each course will be outlined in its syllabus, along with the grading policy and other information.
How to Apply
- Choose "WORLD CAMPUS" as the campus