The Special Education Supervisory Program for PDE Certification is a 15-credit sequence of course work (including multiple internship experiences). Upon satisfactory completion of the course work and internships, attainment and verification of five years of professional school experience in special education, and satisfactory achievement on assessments prescribed by PDE (currently Praxis Exam 5412), you will be recommended for PDE certification by the dean of the Penn State College of Education.
Course work covers topics such as:
- social and institutional settings for instructional supervision: functions, activities, and leadership practices of supervision
- evidence-based practices in management of special education programs
- implementing evidence-based intervention practices
- planning and implementing staff development
- budget and program evaluation
Instruction for all of the courses in this program is conducted online. Courses are designed so that you can complete the work from your home or office, making the program convenient and accessible for you as a working professional. You will have multiple opportunities to participate in real-world internship experiences, honing your administrative, supervisory, and leadership skills. These experiences may be completed within your school district (public or private) with approval from your employer and a Penn State faculty adviser.