Deadlines and Important Dates
Your degree application, including receipt of all transcripts and letters of recommendation should be received by the following deadline to be considered complete.
- July 1 for fall semester admission
- November 1 for spring semester admission
- March 15 for summer semester admission
For admission to the Graduate School, an applicant must hold either (1) a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or (2) a tertiary (postsecondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution. This degree must be from an officially recognized degree-granting institution in the country in which it operates.
Prior to submitting an application for the program, please be aware of the following:
- Students who do not currently have (or who will not have by the completion of the program) a minimum of three years of school-related experience, such as teaching, should not apply for the School Leader emphasis or for the stand-alone principal certification.
- At this time, only Pennsylvania-certified educators are eligible to apply for the Graduate Certificate for Principalship and/or the School Leader emphasis of Masters in Educational Leadership. You must have the capacity to complete a required, (calendar) year-long internship with a qualified mentor principal (who has been a principal for at least three years) for the School Leader emphasis.
- Our Master's in Educational Leadership with the Teacher Leader emphasis is open to educators from other states and countries. Please note that switching from one emphasis area to another is not permissible once the student has been accepted into a specific program emphasis.
Applications are submitted electronically and include a nonrefundable application fee.
You will need to upload the following items as part of your application:
A copy of an official transcript from each institution attended, regardless of the number of credits or semesters completed. Transcripts not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation. Penn State alumni do not need to request transcripts for credits earned at Penn State, but must list Penn State as part of your academic history. Upon admission and your acceptance of admission, you will be asked to send an additional official transcript. You will receive instructions at that time.
Statement of purpose
Three letters of professional recommendation — You will need to initiate the process through the online application by entering names and email addresses of references. Upon submission of your application, an email will be sent to each recommender requesting they complete a brief online recommendation regarding your commitment for success in an online program. Please inform all recommenders they must submit the form in order for your application to be complete.
A successful undergraduate record with a minimum GPA of 3.0
English Proficiency — The language of instruction at Penn State is English. All international applicants must take and submit scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with some exceptions. Minimum test scores and exceptions are found in the English Proficiency section on the Graduate School's "Requirements for Graduate Admission" page.
Applying to the Master's Degree
- Choose "WORLD CAMPUS" as the campus
Applying as a Nondegree Graduate Student
To begin taking courses right away, apply as a "nondegree" graduate student. You may take up to 15 credits in nondegree status before submitting your application portfolio.
Note: If you apply as a nondegree graduate student, you must re-apply to the master's degree to be considered for admission into the Master of Education in Educational Leadership degree program.
To apply as a nondegree graduate student:
- Begin the application process
- Select "Nondegree Admission"
- Choose "WORLD CAMPUS" as the campus