Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
Advance Your Career with a Criminal Justice Degree
The online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice degree program from Penn State World Campus allows you to stay on the job, maintain your career advancement, and still take care of the other commitments in your life.
Most federal, state, and corporate employment opportunities in this field require at least a bachelor’s degree. If you want to specialize in a field of criminal justice or advance in your career, it’s imperative that you upgrade your knowledge and skills. Penn State’s Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice can give you the tools to lead, serve, and protect our local, state, and national interests.
Why a Criminal Justice Degree Online from Penn State
The Penn State World Campus online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice program, which has its academic home at Penn State Harrisburg, is the first online program in the nation to be awarded certification through the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences. This certification underscores the high praise that the online program receives for quality criminal justice instruction. You can feel confident that this program fits your needs and is renowned throughout the industry.
Gain Innovative Skills to Surmount Challenges
These career-enhancing criminal justice courses balance the theoretical and practical aspects of crime control as they relate to both adult and juvenile justice. The course work covers:
- introduction to law, policing, and corrections in America
- ethics in criminal justice
- security and police administration
- alternatives to incarceration
- aspects of the juvenile justice system
- concepts of social science research
Courses in this program can help you prepare for work in policing, courts, law, and corrections, as well as with crime-related populations ranging from abuse victims to substance-addicted offenders.
Who Should Apply?
If you want to become a leader, whether in law enforcement, security management, corrections, court administration, or crime prevention, this degree program is for you. It is an ideal choice if you are just beginning to earn a degree in criminal justice — or if you already have academic credits or an associate degree in the field.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Penn State’s online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice can help you start or advance your career in:
- protective services: Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Secret Service, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Marshal's Office, sheriff departments, municipal and state police departments, security and loss prevention
- law and corrections: court administration, legal aid/paralegal, delinquency prevention programs, juvenile court personnel, juvenile residential institutions, jails and prisons, and probation and parole offices
- crime-related prevention and support: shelters for abused women and children, rape crisis centers, drug and alcohol programs, halfway houses, and a wide variety of crime prevention and diversion programs
Online Education at Penn State
Penn State has a history of 100+ years of distance education and more than a decade of experience in online learning. We strive to create an online learning environment that brings you as close to the face-to-face experience as possible. Learn more about Penn State World Campus.