Transferring Credits, Military Credit, CLEP & DSST Testing

Transferring Credits From Other Institutions

At Penn State, credits may be awarded for college-level work taken at regionally accredited institutions, provided:

  • the course grade you earned is equivalent to a grade of A, B, or C (2.0) at Penn State
  • there is an equivalent course at Penn State and the credits are useful to your program of study

For students applying to an undergraduate degree program, the Penn State Undergraduate Admissions Office determines what courses may transfer to Penn State from other universities. To gain a quick, unofficial evaluation of your transfer credits, visit the Evaluate Transfer Credit page on the Undergraduate Admissions Office website: 

  • Select "prospective student"
  • Click on the "Begin Course Evaluation"
  • Input your institution and courses in the course evaluation tool
  • Compare the results with the course list of the curriculum for your prospective degree program

To obtain transfer information when you are a student applying to a World Campus graduate degree program, contact the academic department that is offering your program.

Military Credit

If you are a student and a veteran, or a member of the armed forces or the selected reserves, you may be granted academic credit for Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), Rating, or Air Force Specialty Codes (AFSC) held in the armed services, in accordance with University policy. Students interested in receiving credit for their educational experience should submit any applicable SMART, AARTS, Coast Guard Institute, or CC of the Air Force transcripts to:

Undergraduate Admissions Office
The Pennsylvania State University
201 Shields Building
University Park PA 16802

Credit for Life Experience Tests (CLEP®)

Penn State awards credit for CLEP exams at the level recommended by the American Council on Education. For detailed information on the exams accepted and the credit awarded, visit Penn State's Credit Awarded for CLEP web page.

  • Penn State World Campus does not charge an administrative fee for an active-duty student taking the CLEP exam at the Outreach Testing Center. Military veterans can seek reimbursement from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for CLEP exams and fees.

DANTES Subject Standardized Tests

Special circumstances often prevent service personnel from continuing their education in the traditional classroom setting. Through World Campus, the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES) extends educational opportunities to all servicemen and servicewomen in or outside the United States. If you are a student interested in receiving credit for DSST, please visit Penn State's DSST website.

  • Most of our courses are listed in the DANTES Independent Study Catalog. This listing authorizes reimbursement for a course in accordance with each branch's educational support program. Service personnel should contact their base, post, or shipboard education service officer for information.